Dear Seven Locks Members,
Opening Day is quickly approaching and we have lots of new families joining our community. We have a fantastic Swim and Dive program for children of all ages and it’s a great way for kids and parents alike to make new friends at the pool.
If your kids plan to swim or dive and have not already done so, please register your swimmers/divers online as soon as possible.
For those of you who are already registered for the swim team, we have been working hard during the off season to prepare for another fantastic season of summer swimming. We are looking forward to meeting you and answering your questions at the Parent Meeting on Wednesday, May 27 from 7-8. Please make every effort to attend. From practices to meets, outfitting, pep rallies, social events, volunteering and more, Seven Locks Coaches and Reps will make sure you are up to date on schedules and expectations for the summer 2015 season. Helpful for new and veteran parents alike! For now, however, we’d like to stress several important “action items” for you to consider as we approach the season:
- Team suits: This year you will need to go to Capital Sport & Swim to buy your team suit. Unlike in past seasons, we will NOT be managing the team suits at the pool. Suits are available at Capital Sport & Swim, 10558 Metropolitan Ave., Kensington, (301)949-7366. When you visit the store, your swimmers can try on suits for size. Then CS&S will put on the Seven Locks logo as you wait. Please note: CS&S is not usually open on Sundays, but call the store for specific hours.
- Practice times: Afternoon practices start Tuesday May 26. Practice times are as follows:
– 8& unders: 4:30-5:00pm
– 9&10s: 5-5:45pm
– 11& up 5:45-6:45pm
- Time trials for all swimmers are scheduled for Saturday morning, June 6. 8 am!
- Meet schedule: Our first meets are coming up quickly! Our first B meet is June 10 at Somerset Pool. Our first A meet is June 13 at Rockshire Pool. For a detailed calendar of meets and events, please visit the website, www.sevenlockssharks.com.
- Volunteers: We are still looking for many volunteers to pitch in! Summer swimming does not happen without dedicated participation from parents. Please prepare to volunteer this summer. Some specific roles we are looking to fill are: Spiritwear Manager, End of the Season Slideshow/Photographer, Awards Manager and Banquet Coordinator.
If you are new to summer swimming and already confused about time trials, A and B meets and anything else, no problem! We are looking forward to answering your questions at the Parent meeting on Wed., May 27, from 7-8 pm.
We are thrilled to welcome our new head coach, Miranda Steel, as well as our new assistant coach, Alex Lawrence. Our veteran Junior Coaches, Luca Bertozzi and Isabel Bogart, are returning for another summer and longtime shark Aaron Dane will be joining them as a third Junior Coach. You can find more details about all of the coaches on the team website.
For kids who aren’t quite ready for Swim Team, Preteam is a great way for them to learn to swim a length of the pool. If your child is too young for Preteam, please consider our Learn to Swim program. Information on Learn to Swim can be found on our Club website here.
Parent representatives are available if you would like to speak with someone about the programs — please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAQs about registration:
Should my child be on the team or the pre-team? Team is for any Seven Locks member aged 5-18 who can swim a length of freestyle without stopping! Pre-team is for kids 8 years old and younger who cannot yet swim an entire length of the pool without stopping (e.g. standing up, grabbing the lane rope, etc.) If you are unsure what your child is capable of, please bring them to an 8 and under practice the week of May 26-29 and the coaches will evaluate the swimmer.
Can I get a refund if I change my mind about swim team? We are not able to offer refunds after the first week of practice (May 30 would be the last day available for a refund).
We hope you’ll be joining the swim team this summer! For much more information about our summer plans, visit our website at www.sevenlockssharks.com.